Simple Tips to Curb Your Cravings
By Dr. Natasha Turner ND
Prevent Cravings in the First Place
If cravings are preventing you from reaching your weight loss goals, try following these simple tips to satisfy your urge to splurge.
Make sure you are getting enough protein and healthy fats at each meal and snack.
- Never miss your afternoon snack. This mini-meal will help balance your blood sugars so you avoid the dreaded “afternoon slump” that often makes us reach for junk food. This snack will also help you achieve greater weight loss.
- Be sure to keep hidden sugars from sneaking into your diet. Be on the lookout for drinks, flavored yogurts, low-fat packaged foods, energy bars, granola bars, sauces, dressings and other processed foods. Most are loaded with extra sugar.
- Increase your fiber intake. Fiber will help you feel fuller longer, and you’ll feel more satisfied.
- Add ground flaxseed or chia seed to your meals, or purchase a non-psyllium fiber supplement to add to your smoothies.
- Improve your sleep and consider a natural sleep aid, if necessary. Sleep deprivation is proven to increase our appetite, particularly our cravings for sweets.
- If you crave sugar you might be low in magnesium. Although cocoa is touted as healthy because of its antioxidant properties, most of us experience guilt or frustration when we give in to our cravings for rich, delicious chocolate. Well, feel guilty no longer, there may be a solution for you—and it’s as simple as a magnesium supplement that has no calories at all. But – pay attention to your cravings! They are a very good sign magnesium is just what your body needs since chocolate is, in fact, one of our richest dietary sources. Studies have found, and my clinical experience has confirmed, that chocolate cravings and PMS symptoms improve with daily magnesium supplements
Nip a Craving in the Butt
- Reach for frozen berries. A 1/4 cup serving feels like a frozen treat. It’s hard to eat too many and, because they are frozen, you have to eat them more slowly.
- Sip some herbal tea. Those with fruit flavors tend to be more satisfying, and the warm drink will raise your body temperature, which helps appetite and craving control.
- Take glutamine. Open a 500 mg capsule under the tongue to beat your cravings.
- Chew vitamin C tablets. One or two are sweet enough to get you through, while also providing health benefits
- As mentioned above add a magnesium supplement to your daily routine, take at night.
More Blog Posts
Craving Carbs and Feeling Depressed?
IV nutrient therapy and how it can help you
Naturopathic Approach to Acne