More good news keeps coming out about the benefits of collagen. A study published in the International Journal Of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism found that 15 grams of vitamin C enriched gelatin which provided hydrolyzed collagen taken one hour before jumping rope improves the body’s own collagen synthesis, which plays a beneficial role in injury prevention and tissue repair. You can add this to my list of the top benefits of collagen found below.
Did you know, as we age, our body’s ability to produce new collagen declines, and existing collagen begins to break down? The loss of collagen effects skin, joints, and bones. The decreased collagen may also lead to increased digestive problems, weakened immune systems, and increased risk of chronic illness. Good news! Science has shown that collagen supplementation can protect against and reverse these effects. Marine Collagen which is a type 1 collagen, is made of collagen peptides derived from fish and has the most efficient absorption of all collagen types. Marine Collagen is environmentally friendly and sustainable as it uses parts of the fish that are normally thrown away.
Clear Medicine’s Top Ten Benefits of Marine Collagen:
1. Builds Bone Strength – Studieshave shown that marine collagen peptides help the absorption of calcium and other minerals that are essential for bone strength. Check out Dr. Turner ND’s pre-workout cocktail here!
2. Improves Skin, Hair and Nails – Increasing type 1 collagen levels can help your skin look firmer, increase smoothness, and help your skin cells keep renewing and repairing normally. Clinical trials have shown patients who supplement with marine collagen have a decrease in wrinkles and improved skin hydration and firmness.
3. Stabilizes Blood Sugar – 2016 study by the Alberta Diabetes Institute found consistently low levels of circulating glycine among people with type 2 diabetes. Thus, supplementing with marine collagen, which contains high amounts of glycine, may help balance blood sugar levels, which is especially important for diabetics.
4. Boosts Metabolism – a boost in collagen may help improve metabolism by adding lean muscle mass to your frame and helping with the conversion of essential nutrients.
5. Improves Wound Healing and Reduces Scars – Supplementing with marine collagen can lead to faster and more complete healing of wounds. As the main component of the dermal matrix of the skin, collagen is necessary for regeneration of skin after any skin injury or deformation, such as scars, rashes, and burns. Collagen is the major protein component of connective tissue and is composed primarily of glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline. Collagen synthesis requires hydroxylation of lysine and proline, and co-factors such as ferrous iron and vitamin C. Impaired wound healing results from deficiencies in any of these co-factors. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2903966/)
6. Reduces Inflammation and helps with joint pain – With its gel-like, smooth structure that covers and holds our bones together, collagen allows us to glide and move without pain. Studies are showing that it helps your joints move more easily, reduces pain often associated with aging and even reduces the risk of joint deterioration.
7. Brain Health – Glycine makes up roughly 20% of the amino acids in collagen. Some of the glycine benefits range from improving sleep to having inhibitory functions that take action against excessive excitation in the brain. This allows your mind to calm down and focus.
8. Thyroid Boost – Collagen can help boost your thyroid hormone levels by simply balancing the other proteins in your body. collagen helps to boost your liver’s ability to convert thyroid hormone into active T3 thyroid hormone by lowering cortisol levels in your blood.
9. Antibacterial Effects – Recent research has discovered that peptide fragments contained within marine collagen have antibacterial properties. Specifically, collagencin, a peptide derived from collagen, has been found to inhibit the growth of infection and disease-causing bacteria.
10. Superior Protein Source for Weight Management – is a pure protein source that does not contain any carbs, sugar or fat. Daily intake of marine collagen may help to suppress appetite by keeping you feeling full longer and thus can help promote weight loss. Please note that collagen is NOT a complete protein source therefore it is more beneficial to mix collagen powder with a complete protein powder. Collagen contains a different spectrum of amino acids than a traditional protein source and collagen peptides do not contain tryptophan and are low in cysteine and methionine. It is crucial to add a whey or vegan protein powders to get full complete protein benefits.
Marine Collagen can be mixed with water or added to your favourite smoothie or shake. Pick up some today. It is quickly becoming a bestseller at our Wellness Boutique.
Take Dr. Natasha Turner’s three month morning challenge which includes Collagen. Read more here.