Did you know that our bodies’ ability to produce new collagen declines, and existing collagen begins to break down, as we age? The loss of collagen affects skin, joints, and bones and may also lead to increased digestive problems, weakened immune systems, and increased risk of chronic illness. Good news! Science has shown that collagen supplementation can protect against and reverse these effects. Marine collagen, which is a type 1 collagen, is made of collagen peptides derived from fish and has the most efficient absorption of all collagen types. Marine collagen is anti-aging, environmentally friendly, and sustainable, as it uses parts of the fish that are normally thrown away.
Top 10 reasons to supplement with collagen:
1. Builds bone strength and could prevent osteoporosis/osteopenia. Studies have shown that marine collagen peptides help the absorption of calcium and other minerals that are essential for bone strength. More recently a study of post-menopausal women found a favorable shift in bone markers, indicating increased bone formation and reduced bone degradation. Study
2. Improves skin, hair, and nails. Increasing type 1 collagen levels can help your skin look firmer, increase smoothness, and help your skin cells keep renewing and repairing normally. Clinical trials have shown that patients who supplement with marine collagen have a decrease in wrinkles and improved skin hydration and firmness. Think of it as an anti-aging wonder powder! Study
3. Stabilizes blood sugar. A 2016 study by the Alberta Diabetes Institute found consistently low levels of circulating glycine among people with type 2 diabetes. Thus, supplementing with marine collagen, which contains high amounts of glycine, may help balance blood sugar levels, which is especially important for diabetics.
4. Boosts metabolism. A boost in collagen may help improve metabolism by adding lean muscle mass to your frame and helping with the conversion of essential nutrients.
5. Improves wound healing and reduces scars. Supplementing with marine collagen can lead to faster and more complete healing of wounds. As the main component of the dermal matrix of the skin, collagen is necessary for the skin to regenerate after any skin injury or deformation, such as scars, rashes, and burns.
6. Reduces inflammation and helps with joint pain. With its gel-like, smooth structure that covers and holds our bones together, collagen allows us to glide and move without pain. It’s been shown to help your joints move more easily, reduce pain often associated with aging, and even reduce the risk of joint deterioration.
7. Promotes brain health. Glycine makes up roughly 20 percent of the amino acids in collagen. It can help to improve sleep and has inhibitory functions that take action against excessive excitation in the brain. This allows your mind to calm down and focus.
8. Boosts thyroid hormones. Collagen can help boost your thyroid hormone levels by simply balancing the other proteins in your body. Collagen helps to boost your liver’s ability to convert thyroid hormone into active T3 thyroid hormone by lowering cortisol levels in your blood.
9. Has antibacterial effects. Recent research has discovered that peptide fragments contained within marine collagen have antibacterial properties. Specifically, collagencin, a peptide derived from collagen, has been found to inhibit the growth of infection and disease-causing bacteria.
10. Long-term therapy with orally administered specific bioactive collagen peptides leads to an improvement of cellulite and has a positive impact on skin health. A study found that consistent supplementation over a period of six months led to a clear improvement of the skin appearance in women suffering from moderate cellulite. Study
Collagen is also a superior protein source for weight management. Collagen is a pure protein source that does not contain any carbs, sugar, or fat. Daily intake of marine collagen may help suppress appetite by keeping you feeling full longer and thus helping to promote weight loss. If you are trying to “up” your intake of protein we highly recommend mixing a scoop of whey or vegan protein to your collagen.