(adapted from Food and Drink Magazine Summer 2021)
2 cups (375 mL) frozen cranberries
¼-1/2 cup coconut sugar (even slightly less than ½ cup was still tart)
1/3 cup of orange juice
2 tsp (10 mL) olive oil
1/2 sweet onion, finely diced, about 1/2 cup (125 mL)
-can also use red onion
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt, divided
3-6 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 lb (455 g) ground turkey or chicken
½ cup (250 mL) gluten free breadcrumbs (we love the brand PaneRiso)
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 large egg, beaten
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
Brie cheese, thinly sliced, can substitute goat cheese or vegan cheese if preferred
4 brioche burger buns – these also can be enjoyed bunless
Baby spinach leaves
Thinly sliced red onion
1. For the cranberry jam, in a small saucepan, combine frozen cranberries, sugar and orange juice, and set over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Scrape cranberry jam into a bowl and refrigerate, uncovered, until cooled completely for at least 1 hour. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
2. For the burgers, heat oil in a large nonstick frying pan set over medium-high heat. Add sweet onion and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until softened, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Scrape mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool completely for about 20 minutes.
3. Scrape cooled mixture into a large mixing bowl along with turkey, breadcrumbs, parsley, egg, Dijon mustard, remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt and pepper. Gently mix until combined and shape into 4 equal-sized burgers, about 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick (see TIP).
4. Cook burgers over a high grill for 5 to 6 minutes per side, until no longer pink in the centre or until a meat thermometer inserted horizontally into the centre of the burger registers 165°F (74°C). Arrange brie slices (or cheese of choice) over burgers for the last 30 seconds of cooking to quickly melt.
5. Toast buns on the grill, if desired. Smear bottoms of buns with Dijon mustard, then top each one with spinach, 1 burger, cranberry jam and red onion. Serve immediately. Going bunless? Just add burger to a plate of spinach or lettuce mixture.
(image from Food and Drink Summer 2021)